Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kryptonite

I feel the need to write about Kryptonite tonight. We all have that thing (or *those* thingS) -- Or even people. Wait, ESPECIALLY people-- that just make you want to tear your hair out and SCREAM! Kryptonite robs you of your strength and your sanity... While at the same time, seeming to heighten the superpowers of your villain.

 So, what do you do? How do you handle it? I wish I had all of the answers. I don't. Usually people only want to be a menace to others because they're unhappy with themselves for some reason. And you shouldn't take it personally. But, let's face it, sometimes they make it pretty dang personal! How do I not let the things Splenda has said and done get under my skin? What about others who hurt me? The key is to having a forgiving heart. Forgiveness is more for you than for them, anyway. If you let hatred sit inside of you, it eventually rots you from the inside out.

CoCo Chanel said "A girl should be two things: classy & fabulous". You should handle situations in a manner so that you don't come off looking like the silly one in the situation. Sometimes, that's really hard for me. I tend to say what's on my mind. I'm a STRONG advocate for standing up for yourself and what you believe in. I've never been very good at keeping my mouth shut ;) I've always been this way. If you ask my parents what I was most often in trouble for growing up, they'll tell you it was because of my big mouth. Daddy says he's always admired that about me.

You have choices. You can ignore the person. You can try talking it out. (Or you can do like my friend Marcy suggests and cut them out of your life entirely :P And she's right... Sometimes, you do have to do that!) But, there are some people who you just can't reason with. If a person means something to you, you should do everything you can to try and save the relationship first. It doesn't have to be a romantic relationship. Lately, I've felt really wronged by two people who meant a whole lot to me. Not romantically involved with either one of them, just to put that out there. I was so mad at them for what was said about me. One was a person I never fight with ever. The other, this person's counterpart, who I couldn't stand before but grew to love. I grew to love that person through a lot of talking and felt that we'd come to an understanding. But, then as of a week or so ago, I felt like they totally destroyed that. At first, I think I handled things pretty classy. But, then today, when those "villains" dropped in with their Kryptonite, I let it get the best of me. I didn't exactly meant to be rude. But, they did overhear me venting to someone else about it. I can't say that I feel horrible about it... Because I didn't lie about what was done, nor did I call any names. But, instead of venting to someone else about it, I should have just gone straight to the source. I've got to think that it's taken me almost 27 years to get this far... I've got several years on the ones who did the "wronging". Maybe they don't quite realize the full gravity of what they said? Who knows? Maybe I would know if I bothered to ask. Why didn't I ask? Because I'm so tired of chasing after people. I'm so tired of being the first to apologize or the first to make an effort. I want someone to make an effort with me, too. But, maybe the lesson I'm supposed to learn here is that it doesn't matter how tired I am of making certain efforts. By doing them anyway, I'm helping myself to be a better person. If the other person or people (and not necessarily the ones involved in this situation... I'm speaking generically) aren't ready or willing to make certain efforts themselves, it's going to take them a whole lot longer to learn whatever life lessons they're supposed to learn. And their life lessons aren't my business.

As for the more difficult people to reason with, such as Splenda, I'm still learning. I think that's a story for a different day and a different entry.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a phone call to make...

Stay beautiful! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment